Sr. Application Reliability Engineer
One of Nexus Group's financial services clients is in need of a Sr. Application Reliability Engineer (Solutions Architect-level) to join their growing team. This role will focus on reliability, stability, and processing efficiencies. As the first architect in the Application Reliability Centre (ARC), you will work with architects in other areas of the organization and within specific applications to increase application reliability across the portfolio. You will be focused on establishing processes for identifying at risk applications and then establishing tasks forces for review and plans for remediation. You will also help define and implement the vision of this role within the ARC.
This role has to be able to provide direction for issue exploration, problem solve and facilitate problem resolution, design solutions, improve processes, create estimates, work on roadmaps, communicate and work with other solution architects across the org in different teams and present solutions in an effective manner to colleagues and executives. Our application maintenance and development teams are responsible for the development, implementation and support of solutions, developed with a mix of software tools, vendor products and technology in varying degrees and complexity.
The Solutions Architect / Reliability Engineer requires both broad and deep technology knowledge across technology stacks, and the ability to work with architects in other areas and vendors to resolve technology issues. It also requires demonstrated skills in communication, influence, cross-functional group collaboration and coordination.
Strong knowledge of application maintenance & operation processes, and infrastructure operation processes is required to perform duties according to org standards for all platforms. The org uses primarily ITIL processes, and manages backlog and delivery using Agile principals.
• Provide technical architectural design solutions for areas of identified risk to stability and reliability.
• Consult with various solution architects across multiple technology groups in order to propose, design and implement solutions that will enhance the bank’s application reliability compliant with org's established policies, standards and practices.
• Acting as an internal consultant on significant and severe incidents and problems identified to participate in all phases implementing solutions to reduce risk to the org.
• Act as the mentor to Application Maintenance and Operations architects, developers, and support analysts as they work through solutions to address root-cause of incidents, or mitigate technology risks within their applications.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• As a Solutions Architect, you have demonstrated technical working experience with large-scale & highly complex IT projects for the financial services industry.
• You have experience in trouble-shooting and issue resolution on mission critical 7/24 applications with tight service level objectives.
• Your breadth of technical knowledge includes mainframe, mid-range, and cloud solutions for both the applications and infrastructure components.
• Strong deep knowledge in at least 1 technology stack including programming languages (Java, Cobol, Pega), database experience (Oracle, SQL, DB2), user interfaces and process control flows (MQ Series, web services, Scripting, JCL) including the ability to write code and debug / problem solve issues.
• You have strong knowledge of ITIL, Application Management, and DevOps
• You have a solid foundation with relational databases, Application Servers, IT Security, and network topologies.
• You possess technical working experience in a large complex financial services organization, and are adept at navigating the inner workings of this type of organization.
• You possess technical working experience with the integration of technologies.
• You have excellent interpersonal skills and build / foster relationships. Your strong communication, collaboration, negotiation and influencing skills in order to (1) drive dialogue with business partners in order to understand their underlying needs and requirements while managing their expectations given the limitations of the framework and (2) drive dialogue with technology partners in order to understand their underlying problem and drive out solutions to better meet business requirements.
• You have a solid foundation in systems analysis, object-oriented design, object-oriented development, and application deployment of large scale Java centric enterprise application systems.
• You have an understanding of issues surrounding security and compliance including FCAC, Privacy issues, and maintenance of software security.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• 10+ years of application software engineering industry experience
• 5+ years of software engineering leadership experience.
• 2-3 years of banking/financial industry experience, or other large complex technology shop.
• Completion of a post-secondary education in Computer Science, Engineering, or a technology related field.
• ITIL V3 Foundations Certification
• TOGAF Certification would be an asset
• PMP or SCRUM Master Certification would be an asset