Location Address: WFH (Toronto)
Contract Duration: 6 months + good chance of extension
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 9am-5pm
Story Behind the Need
• Business group: Information Technology and Solutions provides global technology solutions support to each of our core businesses – Domestic Banking, International Banking, Global Banking & Markets and Global Wealth & Insurance. Our technology-based solutions enable our client to achieve sustained profitable growth and a competitive advantage.
• Project: The candidate will be working on Credit360, which is an inhouse developed and deployed corporate adjudication platform. The Credit360 team is working on multi-year large scale projects that involve integrations with other applications (upstream with applications for client origination and onboarding and downstream for capital reporting, trading and fulfillment platforms, regulatory, etc.) as well as large initiatives to digitize and automate adjudication processes such as digitization of the bank’s credit agreement with clients, automation of client life cycle management, and enhancing automation with credit rating system.
• Reason for request: Project
Candidate Value Proposition
• The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join an exciting project that has high visibility and can engage with multiple business lines Globally, while utilizing new technology.
Typical day in role:
The incumbent will lead development streams within the Credit360 project to meet the requirements of Scotiabank’s banking and credit officers.
• Creativity and thinking out of the box is a must in designing solutions for complex business problems.
• Work closely with the Senior Development Manager, providing team and project status updates, escalating issues as needed (e.g. resourcing, training, etc.)
• Develop coding standards and testing approaches
• Work closely with Product Owner / BSA to determine near-term and future plans for the team
• Collaborate with the Delivery Lead to plan milestones, successfully execute software delivery, and escalate issues as needed
• Unit Testing, coding, debugging, automating manual activities, scripting and implementing code will be performed on a month-to-month basis.
• Understanding business systems and the credit adjudication business flow.
• Developing and maintaining a strong relationship with business stakeholders
• Conducting periodic reviews of productionalized IT processes to identify streamlining opportunities and promote continuous process improvement methodologies.
The incumbent will also work closely with other internal groups, production support teams and business users in order to maintain support and generate new services. The application will be integrated with and dependent on upstream applications and has downstream regulatory dependencies; the incumbent will have to work closely with other teams to ensure
Must have skills:
1. 7 + years of progressive technical working experience in application programming, system analysis, design, unit testing and debugging
2. Minimum 5 years' (or 3 Recent hands-on projects) working experience (back end) with SOAP and RESTful Web Services, Server-side language (Java, SQL), Unit Testing (Junit)
3. Recent (minimum 1 project) with Operating Systems (Linux Redhat, Solaris, Windows), Tools (Jira, Confluence, Artifactory, BitBucket, SonarQube, GIT).
4. Experience using Sybase & Oracle Database (i.e. SQL, PL/SQL)
6. Experience building API services
– Ability to manage stress and work within established deadlines
– Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain pleasant working relationships
– Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management and employees of the organization
Nice to have skills:
• Cap markets industry exp.
Best vs Average: Deep understanding of the required technology stack. Are prepared to take a deep dive into their experience in the interview and are able to communicate the application of their experience to the project. Is a great communicator, as they will be collaborating with many others on the project.
– resumes reviewed from last posting (previous year) – some of the candidates interviewed looking at the skillset and ratings in resumes and are not reflective in interviews – specifically around communication – candidates being submitted as 9 or 10 out of communication, but are very difficult to understand
– resource will be working part of a large group and will be work with other team members and communication skills is critical*
– mindful of environment and really looking for a clear communicator
– skillset – disconnect about what was in resume and technical acumen*
– screening – experience – ensuring resume matches up (strong technical questions will be asked around back end development + database experience)
– large team with multiple independent streams in the project – contractor will be independent and will be tying in with other team members
Degrees or certifications:
• Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required
Candidate Review & Selection
• 1 Step Process: Teams with Senior Leadership
• Hiring Manager’s availability to interview: ASAP