Location Address: Toronto
Contract Duration: 12 months (Possibility for extension or Convert to FTE)
Story Behind the Need:
Project: Doing a full Enterprise Repository Modernization and in need of a ScrumMaster to lead two groups. The modernization will make the platform more robust, efficient, accessible, and have a better user interface for those needing to do the reporting, adjustments, etc within in the application. This project is in the very early stages so this is a fantastic opportunity for someone to come in and leave a highly visible mark on the program through strong performance.
The ScrumMaster is responsible for driving team effectiveness by identifying and removing impediments, supporting the team, and encouraging practices in accordance with agile principles. The ScrumMaster is empowered to introduce better ways to drive team productivity. They guide the team by embodying agile values, facilitating ceremonies and supporting a culture of continuous improvement and shared practices. The incumbent will actively participate in developing and maintaining a high performing, self-organizing team.
Candidate Value Proposition
The successful candidate will not only have the opportunity to gain valuable experience at a top 5 Canadian bank, but also play a key role in this enterprise repository modernization that has a high level of visibility at the bank. The candidate can also be extended or possibly converted on permanently with good performance.
Typical Day in Role
– As a ScrumMaster you will ensure the team enacts the agile principles, values and framework. Provide support to teams using a servant leadership style.
– Coach the development team and help lead and ensure the agile mindset is fully adopted and understood
– Inculcate core agile values of focus, commitment, respect, openness and courage into the team
– Guide the development team on how to integrate agile ceremonies and values into daily work.
– Encourage an environment where open communication and collaborative problem solving can pave the way for faster removal of any impediments and where the impact of mistakes can be minimized through early detection, making them into learning opportunities
– Engage with the team and technical SMEs to identify technical debt risks and develop approaches to remediate.
– Implement and promote use of agile methodology within the team:
– Facilitate agile ceremonies including planning, review, retrospectives, and daily stand ups
– Create a forum for discussing vision, goals, and Product Backlog items amongst the team
– Apply techniques for effective workflow visualization and management (e.g. Kanban or Scrum Boards)
– Identify, manage, and help mitigate issues and risks, with emphasis on timely removal of impediments for the team and/or directing obstacles to appropriate owners for quick resolution
– Facilitate identifying and enacting improvement strategies to increase the productivity of the team and quality of deliverables
– Ensure team execution and delivery to committed sprint work – maintaining the momentum of the initiative and upholding a sustainable pace of delivery; track agile metrics to provide statistical proof of momentum and sustainability
– Understand long-term product planning / roadmap and help inform development teams to create quicker gains for the benefit of the end user
– Develop strong partnership with the Product Owner to gain strong understanding of objectives, sustain open dialogue to manage product backlog efficiently
– Support and educate the Product Owner on agile principles and practices to preserve the team from external pressures which may inhibit its productivity
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
1) 5+ years of experience as a ScrumMaster – additoinal IT PM experience is highly preferred
2) 3+ years of experience leading cross functional Scrum teams in an agile work environment
3) Experience within FS – banking, risk, domain expertise preferred
4) 3+ years of hands on experience with JIRA
Nice to have Skills:
– Bilingual in Spanish and English is preferred due to work with the South American teams
– Excellent communication skills to confidently lead both Scrum teams
– Negotiation skills to work with the business partners and product owners to properly convey priorities
– Fast, adaptable learner – ability to think quickly on their feet and pivot
– Effective collaboration to work with the testers and other teams involved
Degrees or certifications:
– Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required
– Certified Scrum Master – CSM