Contract Length: 6 months
Location: WFH, Toronto
Story Behind the Need: The group is seeking a Project Manager to assist with ongoing projects – the digital operations group does not run technology projects but rather they run operational change projects or support digital in the creation of business cases they are going to deliver – the group needs someone with PM background to run digital projects – time, status, issues, risks, etc – and to help move forward those business cases. The candidate will be working on a mix of large (50+ workdays) and small projects.
Candidate Value Proposition:
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join a high performance team and work some of the most disruptive and emerging technologies within a dynamic and fast moving Big 5 Canadian bank.
Typical Day in the Role:
• Support the Portfolio Director and/or Program Manager to ensure the business needs and outcomes of the project are defined, satisfied and costs identified while working with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, process specialists, product managers, and others to onboard, plan, and execute engagements with the bank’s technology teams.
• Provide consulting and guidance on project initiatives including business case preparation and developing creative/alternative approaches to problem resolution.
• Develop a strong partnership with the Business Sponsor to gain strong understanding of requirements, sustain open dialogue to manage product backlog efficiently, and facilitate and drive the benefits of the project.
• Collaborate with project teams to ensure business needs and outcomes of the project are achieved.
• Establish scope of the project; monitor and control scope to ensuring focus on delivery.
• Manage reporting for all work packages within the project.
• Establish roles and responsibilities in the project.
• Identify resource requirements, set expectations, and manage stakeholders to enable efficient and effective achievement to project outcomes
• Create project plans and manage dependencies in accordance with project team needs.
• Conduct appropriate status review sessions and escalate issues as necessary.
• Manage the project budget by contributing to monthly forecasts, quarterly accruals, and year end carry forwards.
• Direct planning, scheduling, resourcing, risk assessment, cost/benefit analysis, milestones determination, and final deliverables definition within the project.
Must Have Skills/Requirements:
1) 10+ years of experience in a similar IT Project Manager role within a large FI or related complex environment
2) 8+ years of experience within 2/3 – Operational projects, business projects, and technology projects
3) 5+ years of experience with IT or Technology projects
4) Must have experience in defining and executing effective risk and issue management plans – demonstrated in previous projects
– Candidate must have the ability and experience communicating with senior leaders
– Looking for someone that is hungry and eager to learn, someone that will go out of their way to find the answer rather than sitting around waiting for the answer to come to them
– Candidate must be a team player, that does not need to be micromanaged – wants someone who can get up and hit the ground running everyone morning without necessarily being told what to do
– Excellent communications skills to coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders across the organization
– Ability to manage assigned tasks and expectations without direct instruction or oversight
– Fast, adaptable learner who can hit the ground running
– Ability to work well under pressure while demonstrating strong professionalism
– Must be able to collaborate closely with a team at times, while also being capable of holding themselves accountable to meet individual deadlines without hand holding
Education and Certifications
– Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required
– MBA or other related advanced degree preferred. PMP or PMI certification