Manager, Insurance Development, Actuarial Services
Typical Day in Role:
• Support the development and maintenance of IFRS17 actuarial models across all relevant international subsidiaries.
• Responsible for the development and testing of key IFRS17 decisions pertinent to the Bank and its subsidiaries (i.e transition adjustments, portfolio and grouping, onerous testing, discount rate determination, coverage units, expense allocation).
• Responsible for the model development and sample IFRS17 measurement templates. Including the reconciliation with the previous accounting standard and the financial impact analysis from transition.
• Responsible for the integration of the source policy data, actuarial models and transactional data files with the IFRS17 accounting software.
• Develop, update and maintain actuarial valuation bases to incorporate key measurement decisions for all subsidiaries.
• Support the development of IFRS17 accounting rules and its implementation in the new accounting and actuarial tools.
• Provide support with the year-end reporting process to include IFRS17 (review of valuation methodology, assumption changes, sensitivity runs, and the preparation of actuarial exhibits for the Appointed Actuary’s report)
• Support monthly/quarterly IFRS17 actuarial valuations for required reporting to shareholders, directors and regulators. This includes fulfilment cashflows, risk adjustment, CSM, onerous testing, actuarial liabilities valuation, source of earnings and solvency reporting for all subsidiaries.
• Responsible for updating the capital adequacy processes (LICAT, DCAT, FCR) to be IFRS17 compliant for the relevant international insurance subsidiaries. Work closely with the relevant stakeholders in developing and running stress scenarios.
• Provide Support in the annual financial planning process by providing required IFRS17 actuarial projections to all relevant international subsidiaries.
• Review and improve internal documentation (procedures for monthly valuation, DCAT, MCCSR)
• Provide stress testing support as required for the annual Enterprise-Wide Stress Testing and the subsidiaries own stress testing program.
• Communicate results to local management and other stakeholders as applicable and provide training to internal users.
• Support additional insurance risk related reporting, including the development of IFRS17 insurance risk metrics.
• Understand the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture, and conduct all activities in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
Candidate Requirements/Must-Have skills:
1. Knowledge of IFRS-17, IFRS-4, LICAT and MCCSR.
2. 5+ years of Industry experience in Life and Health Insurance Companies or Consulting
3. Knowledge of AXIS or similar Actuarial software
• Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA), Associate of the Society of Actuaries or an equivalent designation are considered an asset
• Programming knowledge and experience with Actuarial software packages are assets.
• Excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills to be able to work well with technical peers and business stakeholders at different levels within the organization
• Strong decision making, forward thinking and creative problem-solving skills to anticipate and respond quickly to technological/market influences
• Ability to work as part of a team, as well as work independently or with minimal direction
• Must hold an undergraduate degree or a graduate education with an emphasis on Actuarial Science, Statistics, Finance or Math