Position Title: Java – Spring Boot Developer/Programmer
Location Address: Hybrid – Scarborough
Contract Duration: ASAP to 10/31/2022
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday, 37.5 hrs/week.
Story Behind the Need
• Business group: This role will be within the Canadian Banking Technology (CBT) team, working within the Revolving Credit, Data and Transactions organization which provides core banking capabilities, API & Event Enablement, Leadership in Delivery, supporting Canadian Banking Digitization, Accessibility, Regulatory and Compliance initiatives, performing development, design and deployment
• Project: Reporting to the Senior Manager IT, the Java – Spring Boot Developer will be working with the eConsent and Digitized Solutions team to lead and be responsible for supporting the eConsent application solution which is leveraged by multiple Canadian, International and Enterprise-wide lines of business. The successful candidate will be partnering with multiple teams in delivering requirements. To join our team you must be proactive, creative, demonstrate initiative, have an eagerness to learn and thrive on challenge.
• Reason for request: Backfill. Developer needed to support projects and day to day technical activities and support
Candidate Value Proposition
– The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on initiatives that are tied to digitization and modernization.
Typical Day in Role
• Act as an expert technical resource for problem analysis and solution implementation
• Work closely with Delivery and Technical Architecture teams, Product Owners and Technical Platform teams to design and develop high quality solutions supporting enterprise architecture and business process improvements that support our business and technical strategies.
• Technical knowledge on new development projects and initiatives; translating requirements into
capabilities and creating compliant technical solutions and business opportunities
• Implement new systems or enhancements by reviewing programs written by team members,
establishing and executing system test procedures, developing implementation plan, developing the
required program and system documentation and ensuring all functionality has been delivered as
• The incumbent is also required to provide post implementation support and training to the
Production Support staff on the production processing functionality. The team has a rotation with support over two-week periods. Pager rotation is mandatory.
• Hands-on experience with application solutions, architecture design, API and Service Integration
using Microservice architecture
• Support other development areas providing technical expertise, guidance, advice and knowledge
transfer to staff and more junior developers
• Must be able to work within tight deadlines, which may result in additional work hours to meet
• Keeps current on new technology
• Deal effectively with external Vendors, Business Partners, internal Stakeholders and Management
• Primarily back-end development (20% front-end)
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
• 5+ years of working experience with Microservices, Core JAVA, Chassis, Spring Boot and REST APIs
• Strong knowledge of MongoDB or Azure SQL server (experience developing SQL queries)
• Understanding of File Transfer protocols and processes i.e., FTP, SFTP, PGP Encryption
• Technical working experience with UNIX shell scripting
• Able to apply existing and emerging technologies / architectures to deliver innovative solutions
• Experience as subject matter expert for multiple initiatives
• In-depth knowledge of SDLC methodology and experience in both Agile and Waterfall delivery
• Experience with change management and version control
• Experience in writing/creating/updating technical documents
• Experience in batch job/process scheduling
• An understanding of current IT practices and systems development techniques
• Familiarity with data integration and data streaming, WebSphere MQ and Communication Networks
• Familiarity with event driven programming concepts
• Exposure to Data Modelling and Data Architecture
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively liaise between Business Users, Project Teams, external Vendors and Technical Support Teams working in a geographically dispersed team
• Good communication, interpersonal, presentation and negotiation skills
• Strong analytical skills – problem identification and resolution
Best vs Average:
• Clear understanding of and experience in technical aspects. Ability to communication how they would execute on a development ask.
• 5+ years of experience in IT, with an emphasis on API development, and proven ability in delivery services using Java Spring Boot, IBM WebSphere or using similar components or frameworks.
Degrees or certifications:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field (or equivalent work experience)
Candidate Review & Selection
• Structure and Format: Two rounds, MS Teams video interviews
o First round with architect
o Second round with Direction