Location Address: WFH, Toronto
Contract Duration: ASAP to 10/31/2022
Extension: Possible on other projects
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Story Behind the Need
• Business group: GWRT – GCMT Securities Operations Technology – US
• Project: PS OIM Project (part of prime services infrastructure modernization). Real time position feed is sent to prime services team and that information is utilized by the trading desk.
• Reason for request: Java Developer to be hired in the eScape team for project 'Prime Services Operational and Infrastructure Modernization (PS OIM)'
Candidate Value Proposition
• The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join an exciting project that has high visibility while utilizing latest technologies.
Typical Day in Role
• The main function of this Developer is to design, develop, maintain, and implement enhancements using JAVA
• Experience in Spring Cloud and integration patterns using messaging technologies like JMS, MQ etc. is a plus
• Analyze highly complex business requirements
• Generate technical specifications to design or redesign complex software components and applications
• Act as an expert technical resource for modeling, simulation, and analysis efforts
• Leverage industry best practices to design, test, implement and support a solution
• Be flexible and thrive in an evolving environment
• Adapt to change quickly and adjust work accordingly in a positive manner
• 80% back-end work; 20% front end work
o Front-end would be Java based as well (Vaadin)
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
• 5+ years of hands on development experience in Core Java (JDK 8), Spring Boot/ Spring cloud and server-side Java programming related technologies in an Agile development environment
• 5+ years’ experience designing patterns and Object Orient Design concepts
• Recent Experience in utilizing Source Control & Build Tools, like Bitbucket, Jenkins, Splunk (optional) etc.
• Basic understanding of SQL programing
• Previous Financial Services / Banking experience is preferred but not required
• Oracle experience is an asset
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• This individual will be communicating with teams across all levels of the bank. Experience working with different stakeholders at different levels
• Candidate must be a team player, that does not need to be micromanaged – wants someone who can get up and hit the ground running everyone morning without necessarily being told what to do
• Ability to manage assigned tasks and expectations without direct instruction or oversight
• Fast, adaptable learner who can hit the ground running
• Ability to work well under pressure while demonstrating strong professionalism
• Collaborate closely with the team, while also being capable of holding themselves accountable to meet individual deadlines without hand holding
Best vs Average: Main requirement is the hands-on Java developer background. Other requirements are important, but less critical to the role.
Degrees or certifications:
• Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required
1. Supports middle and back office applications
2. Open to develop all layers of the application (Front end, middle tier, backend)
3. Unix experience. No shell scripting – basic Unix demands – effective log monitoring
4. Java – working with BA to understand scope of enhancements and what needs to be developed and build it out
5. Role is focused on updating existing data flows with Java
6. Trade life cycle experience is highly preferred – can be cross transferred in future to other projects more easily.
Candidate Review & Selection
• Structure and Format:
o First round: 1-hour technical interview with basic Java coding exercise using Java collections and strings. May include some basic behavioral and SQL questions.
o Second round as needed: Final round with HM and senior team if required