Job Title: Financial Control Analyst
Location: Waterloo, ON
Duration: 5 months
What are the main 3 – 5 responsibilities of the resource?
· Attend process walkthroughs
· Execute and Document test plans
What are the main 3 -5 technologies that will be used on the job?
· Microsoft Office
· Adobe Pro
Must Have Technical Skills:
· Intermediate Excel
Team Size and Environment? (Open concept, loud, interactive, etc.) cubicles – 4 total
Is specific industry experience required? Yes
· Public Accounting, Internal Audit or SOX Testing
Financial Controls Analyst
You believe life is about aiming high and making an impact. At client, we work together, share common values and help each other grow and achieve goals.
With roots tracing back to 1865 in Canada, client has grown to become an established and trusted name in insurance and financial services, with offices and operations in key markets around the world. We recognize that our growth, success and reputation for excellence are due in large measure to our talented and dedicated employees.
The Canadian Finance Internal Controls team, led by the Director, Financial Controls, provides an oversight and consolidation role for all Canadian Business Units (BU’s) with respect to Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR), standard accounting control functions, select risk and compliance activities and acts as a consultant on various financial control and risk related matters.
Reporting to Manager Financial Controls, the Financial Controls Analyst is responsible for assisting BU’s to ensure compliance with the Sarbanes – Oxley Act (SOX) and Canadian Investor Confidence rules. The incumbent will also be required to cross-train and provide assistance on other accountabilities within the Financial Controls Team as required.
Working in a continuous improvement environment, assist in ensuring that client is in compliance with Sarbanes – Oxley Act and Canadian Investor Confidence rules by:
• Perform process walkthroughs for different Business Units.
• Execute test plans for assigned Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (SOX) Process Reviews, document and conclude on the results of each test
• Review test results with Manager, Financial Controls identifying weaknesses and assist in recommending improvements to the BUs.
• Provide support and help to facilitate the External Auditor review of assigned SOX Processes.
• Execute as required functions related to but are not limited to Account Reconciliation Reporting and Quality Reviews, Tax Reconciliation Reporting and Write-Off reporting.
• Update documentation.
• Minimum two years progressive work experience, in Internal Audit, SOX testing or a Pubic Accounting Audit role.
• Proven experience in developing strong working relationships with business partners and stakeholders.
• Must possess a positive attitude and enthusiasm with a strong sense of the company values: integrity, engagement, customer focus, excellence and value, demonstrated through the way the team’s and personal goals are achieved.
• Well-organized, innovative and displays a high level of initiative.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple accountabilities with minimal direction.
Competencies and Knowledge:
• Experience with the use of financial reporting systems and tools (e.g. Oracle, Hyperion) and highly proficient with MSOffice applications (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint).
• Life Insurance Industry experience.
• Travel to other SLF-Canada locations, may be required from time to time.