Job Title – DevOps (SaltStack expertise)- Waterloo
# of positions: 2
Duration: 5 months to start
Extension possible: Yes
Location: Waterloo, ON
SUMMARY OF DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Design IAAS & PAAS automation using SaltStack and other configuration management & orchestration tools. Core programming skills in Python and Ruby required to enhance automation across numerous cloud platforms including OpenStack, VMWare, Azure, AWS and others. Day to day tasks will include developing code using our DevOps tool stack. This will include using JIRA to manage a backlog of enhancements/bug fixes, managing source code in Git and artifacts in Nexus, troubleshooting and documenting on Confluence. You will help promote and enforce best practices (code standards, unit/integration, compliance tests) from external teams submitting code for review. As well as enhance our Jenkins CI/CD pipelines for test automation to help support bug-free releases. Candidate must be familiar with a variety of the "Infrastructure-as-Code" concepts, tools, design patterns, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. May lead and direct the work of others. May report directly to a project lead or manager. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Role will work closely with other team members to ensure consistency in coding standards and approaches and to optimize any synergy and re-use opportunities.
Key responsibilities are:
· Responsible for leading technical aspects of project from inception through to deployment.
· Participate in analysis and system design specification sessions.
· Documentation of design options and solutions according to System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology.
· Ensure that solutions adhere to development best practices and architectural principles.
· Ensure infrastructure has well designed monitoring and follows Bank's compliance and security standards.
· Apply analytical skills to resolve problems and deliver viable solutions.
· Anticipate obstacles and execute proactive approaches to issues.
· Active participation in issue resolution.
· Provide detailed development estimates to Project Manager for development effort as well as weekly status reporting and budget forecasting.
· Responsible for coding, testing, packaging, deployment and support of builds as code is promoted from development, system, acceptance and production environments.
· May lead code reviews.
· Participate in development of test strategy, test plans, test cases and testing efforts.
· Track defects, defect triage and resolution.
· Coaching / mentoring of junior developers.
· Ensure required documentation is housed in the project repository and that knowledge transfer has occurred to full time staff upon completion of contract term.
1. Subject matter expert in at least one configuration management framework such as SaltStack, Ansible, Chef, or Puppet – 5+ years
2. Programming skills in Python – 4+ years
3. Ruby Framework – 1.5+ years
4. Automation and maintaining configurations across numerous cloud platforms including OpenStack, VMWare, Azure, AWS, Google – 3+ years
5. JIRA to manage a backlog of enhancements/bug fixes – 2+ years
6. Managed source code in Git (branching models, maintaining projects) – 4+ years
7. troubleshooting and documenting on Confluence – 2+ years
8. Familiarity with a variety of the "Infrastructure-as-Code" concepts, tools, design patterns, and procedures.
9. System administration experience with Windows (2012/2016) deployments – 5+ years
10. System administration experience with RedHat Linux deployments – 5+ years
NICE TO HAVE:
1. SaltStack expertise