Location Address: Hybrid (1-2x a week)
Contract Duration: 6 months
Extension: Likely, project will run for an extended period
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Story Behind the Need
• Business group: Global Technology Application
• Project: Supporting multiple projects (partially application support, as well as assisting with enhancements)
• Reason for request: Workload
Candidate Value Proposition
• The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a multiple liquidity risk projects (modernization and regulatory projects), working on a completely new technology stack.
Typical Day in Role
• Primary scope of role is supporting daily operations (processes, batches, etc.)
• Participate in development of cost effective and robust applications.
• Provide technical support to applications in production and during user acceptance testing.
• Participate in systems implementation, planning, and development.
• Provide technical guidance to other team members.
• Work within cross-functional teams to deliver project initiatives.
• About 50% is building net new code, 50% working on existing code and application support.
• Collaborating with core project teams, internal data platform team, infrastructure teams, security teams, as well as other internal parties.
• Working on execution/programming/unit testing of the project
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
• 5+ years’ experience using Linux or Unix, including related scripting
• 2+ years working with Elastic Search
• 3+ years hands-on experience with RDBMS Systems Server. Postgres preferred.
• 2+ Nifi hands-on experience
• Experience working with large volumes of data processed daily
• Experience working on data transformation.
• Experience working with Spark
• Familiarity with major transport protocols: FTP, SFTP and other SSH connectivity tools
• Knowledge of financial instruments
• Experienced in application / solutions architecture
• Experience using source control systems, GIT preferred.
• Bank experience and knowledge of internal processes is a great asset
• Curious in nature, and consistently on the look-out for process improvements
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
• The candidate must be able to interact with numerous internal teams including Operations, Data Capture and Application support groups.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ideas must be able to be understood and shared easily.
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
• Strong ability to work on several concurrent assignments involving various technologies and environments.
• Disciplined approach to development methodology and software development technologies and concepts.
Best vs Average:
• Previous Scotiabank experience and ability to hit the ground running is a great asset.
• Experience working on projects with large data volumes
• Experience working on regulatory projects
• Best candidate would be able to clearly document processes created and facilitate knowledge transfer.
• Analytical thinking, as well as self-drive and initiative are the attributes most important to the hiring team (the individual must be self-driven, think proactively).
Degrees or certifications:
• Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required
Candidate Review & Selection
• Structure and Format: One MS Teams video interview, panel interview with team members