Capital Markets Business Analyst
Location Address: WFH (once on site – Toronto)
Contract Duration: ASAP until Oct 31, 2022, possibility of extension
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 8:30-5 – flexible, global project – there may be meetings outside of business hours
Story Behind the Need
Business group: GWO – Operations Control – Performance & Financial Management. GWO Business & Performance Management (BPM) supports the operational, risk and control culture for GWO’s activities. BPM is the central point for GWO’s global Operational Risk and Financial governance. Additionally, BPM is responsible for the global management of GWO’s external vendors, depositories and custodians; ensuring best practices and contractual pricing is received from third parties while adhering to the Bank’s risk management policies.
Project: Global GBM Internal Control is undertaking a project and we are looking to enhance internal controls through this project that will include technology and process enhancements.
Contributes to the overall success of the Global Banking & Markets (GBM), Internal Control function and Global Wholesale Operations control activities globally, ensuring specific individual goals, plans, are executed / delivered in support of GBM/GWO’s Control Library and 1st Line Testing initiative. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Candidate Value Proposition:
High visibility project – initiate is a commitment that the division has made to the board. New function that is being built from the ground up. Dealing with First Line and large Capital Markets organizations. Selected candidate will obtain Front Line control experience. Also, will gain exposure to the back office process that support the GBM and Global Operations.
Typical Day in Role:
– Assist in the initial documentation and mapping of key regulatory and non-regulatory controls for GWO
Utilities’ operational functions.
– Assist in the maintenance and updates of key controls inventory for GWO’s Utilities
– Assist in the development, planning and execution of GBM first line testing program for the periodic
testing of key controls to assess their design and operating effectiveness in managing operational risks
in the respective GWO’s Utilities;
– Assist with providing regular reporting to GBM and GWO Management of the condition of internal
controls in the respective operational functions including analyses of root causes of control
breakdowns and determines appropriate corrective actions;
– Assist in identifying and addressing underlying causes of control breakdowns or instances where
controls are inadequate
– Assist with the maintenance of Issues Tracking Database for the first line testing and provide summary
updates to GBM and GWO Management
– Assist with the follow-up of open issues identified from the first line testing and ensure recommended
corrective actions have been remediated;
– Maintain regular communication with GBM Compliance to determine changes to regulatory rules and
understand their impact on various GWO Utilities’ and applicable controls;
– The incumbent should be able, on his/her own initiative, to resolve issues and recognize the need to involve his/her supervisor/s and/or Subject Matter Experts when required.
– The incumbent is expected to maintain an in-depth knowledge of operational conditions throughout the applicable Business Lines and escalate issues promptly that are deemed to be serious, or have broad impact
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
1) 5 + years experience in Capital Markets and/or Operation Risk Management role within a Financial Firm or Consulting Firm
2) 5+ years In-depth understanding of financial markets, capital markets products and control functions
3) Proven knowledge of internal controls
1) Background in Audit
2) Project Management Experience
Soft Skills Required:
– Strong communication Skills – verbal and written
– Self-motivated and experience in working on complex projects
– Ability to work Independently and also a Team Player
Bachelor's degree in business, finance or a related field
CPA/CFA an asset
Candidate Review & Selection
1st is 1 hour video interview with HM
2nd is 30 minute video interview with HM and team members – panel interview
Hiring Manager’s availability to interview: ASAP