Business Systems Analyst – Data Analysis JD
The candidate will be required to understand data components and have the ability to trace data elements at origination and as they move between systems including any transformations. The candidate must have strong business acumen, data analysis, metadata documentation, and data quality controls skills specifically with respect to analyzing business process controls, sourcing and provisioning of lineage, and identifying data quality issues and proposing remediation steps. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working independently with little instruction and have exceptional attention to detail.
- Provides input to end to end data flow and lineage from capture at source, to storage, to delivery and its business intent at each stage (i.e. capture, transformation, fragmentation, editing).
- Performs any necessary data mapping and data lineage activities and documents information flows to support specific business requirements
- Performs data profiling, analyzes and communicates results in support of data quality processes.
- Builds the metadata model and business glossary by gathering information from multiple sources: business users, existing data sources, databases and other relevant documents and systems
- Participates in knowledge transfer within the team and business units and identifies and recommend opportunities to enhance productivity, effectiveness and operational efficiency of the business unit and/or team
- Monitors project progress by tracking activity; resolving problems; publishing progress reports; recommending actions.
- Prepares technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Assesses, researches, analyzes, and documents project needs and outcomes by selecting the appropriate information gathering and/or modelling technique to elicit requirements
- Maintains confidence by keeping information confidential.
- Performs other duties as required in support of the project
Skills and Qualifications
- Educational background in computer science or a quantitative field
- Very detail oriented and skilled in summarizing and gleaning insights from large amounts of information
- Self-motivated to solve problems and able to work collaboratively with other team members
- Strong oral and written communication skills and comfortable presenting to a variety of audiences
- Fluent in both English and Spanish (major asset)
- Understanding of data concepts (metadata, data mapping, data quality, data modeling, etc.)
- Some knowledge of enterprise uses of data and general data flows within a large enterprise.
- Demonstrates general understanding of data models, data relationships, mapping lineage and business rules.
- Experience querying databases using SQL, and familiarity with relational database concepts
- Knowledge of computer programming and system architecture concepts
- Substantive knowledge of tools and software used to extract and analyze data.
- Good knowledge of Excel for data management, calculations and data cleaning