Business Analyst – Capital Markets
Location Address: WFH (open to fully remote candidates)
Contract Duration: 6 months (Possibility for extension) – April 1st target start
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 9am – 5pm
Story Behind the Need
Project: TMX Post Trade Modernization
The Canadian Depository for Securities (CDS) is making extensive changes to its internal application infrastructure in an effort to modernize its service offerings. This technology upgrade will result in significant impact for all Canadian banks/brokers that utilize CDS for Clearing, Settlement, Depository, Corporate Actions and Risk functions. As a major participant of CDS, our client will engage in an end-to-end change assessment to analyze current processes, reports, and integration points with TMX utilized by Operations functions. In addition to this assessment, the bank will participate in a comprehensive industry testing cycle to ensure all impacted operational groups are prepared for any functional changes and have successfully tested all modifications to current processes and platforms.
Project resources are required to assist the Global Wholesale Operations (GWO) team in the planning and execution of the User Acceptance Testing (UAT) workstream. As per TMX, Industry Scripted Testing is scheduled to begin in January 2022 and is expected to last 6-9 months. This will also incorporate a dedicated period for Unscripted testing (scenarios and processes not covered under functional scenarios designed by CDS) The candidate will work closely with the GWO Utility teams – Settlements & Clearing, Corporate Actions & Entitlements, Operations Control, Confirmations, and Network Management – and technology partners to design and lead user acceptance testing across multiple post trade functions.
Typical Day in the role:
– Based on business function, conduct UAT testing scenarios as per Industry Scripted Test runbook
– Coordinate with Operations Test Lead to ensure all testing is performed and results accurately recorded within the Industry testing repository tool – JIRA
– Log testing issues in a timely manner and escalate to Ops Test Lead and program management where appropriate
– Attend daily Industry Testing checkpoint and provide confirmation of completion of daily testing
– Partner with Utility teams to develop unscripted test scenarios specific to Scotia processes and systems
– Document missing functions or changes in functions that require standard operating procedure changes
– Provide frequent and professional progress updates back to the Utility Team Lead and Project team
– Each of these testers will be in a different function
– Candidates will be spread across each of the teams so they need a mix of candidates from a function perspective
Must have hard skills:
1. 5+ years of BA or QA Project experience relating to large scale testing cycles (understanding testing scenarios, how tests are designed, built, cycles etc..)
2. 5+ years of FI experience (tech or operations) – no coding or development experience required, supporting operational functions
4. 3-5 years of proven knowledge of reconciliations related to Capital Market Functions
5. Knowledge of MS Excel and MS Access – not programmable knowledge but candidate should be comfortable using these 2 tools.
3. Prior knowledge of Canada’s settlement systems and settlement conventions
Nice to have Hard skills:
1. Operations experience in the banks (settlements and clearance specifically)
2. Experience working with Broadridge, BPS, and or other functions (ATON, Cage, CPNS, BPSA, ECA, ClearancePro)
– Must have strong and articulate communication skills
– Team Player, willing to work cross functionality to support other testing resources where required
– Must have good E.I. skills to determine risk scenarios and when to escalate and when to strategically influence
– Candidate will be coordinating with Operating Test Lead daily
Education/ years of overall experience:
– Appropriate post secondary education relevant to the securities industry
– Working towards BA certification (nice to have)
1 round – HM and team member – 1 hour video interviews
Additional Notes –
– The testing is firmly of an operational nature / User Acceptance Testing.
– There is no development, coding, or technical testing experience required.
– As these are operational functions that are changing, any previous exposure to these functions – settlements, corporate actions, reconciliations, confirmations, etc – will be useful for understanding the testing requirements and impacts to processes