Job Posting Title: Bilingual Data Engineer (EN/SP)
Location: WFH / Toronto, ON
Duration: 12 months
The incumbent will play a key part in development of metadata, data linage, data quality monitoring, data sharing agreements and service level agreements. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Project: AML Data Governance Project involves 3 data system algorithms which retrieve data surrounding the transactions and CRR (customer rating) from various LATAM countries. The Data Engineer will be profiling and understanding the data to complete required templates, ensure proper SLAs and agreements between the countries and that data maps are aligned. The project is currently in the initial planning phase, but the execution phase will be starting shortly. The project is anticipated to be completed within 3-5 years.
This role will be 40% technical & 60% manual work, execution and competing templates/documentation
Candidate Value Proposition:
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to network and work with various teams from the LATAM countries, while also getting more exposure to new technologies such as Big Data and having the opportunity to be extended or work on other projects (based on performance and funding).
Typical Day in Role:
• Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Conduct ETL, SQL and DB performance tuning, troubleshooting, support, and capacity estimation to ensure highest data quality standards with the business and technical SME’s.
• Helps with the process of profiling data and ETL logic for documenting end to end data flow and lineage from capture at source, to storage, to delivery and its business intent at each stage (i.e. capture, transformation, fragmentation, editing)
• Profile and analyze source data to determine the best reporting structures to build.
• Design and develop ETL pipelines using multiple sources of data in various formats according to business requirements.
• Conduct dimensional modelling, metadata management, data wrangling, data cleaning and conforming, and warehouse querying.
• Use sound agile development practices (code reviews, testing, etc) to develop and deliver data products
• Provide day-to-day support and technical expertise to both technical and non-technical teams
• Work with other engineers to brainstorm solutions to problems and support others in their goals.
• Exhibit sound judgement, keen eye for details and tenacity for solving difficult problems.
• Use strong analytical skills and support use of data for sound decision making.
• Help us build data expertise and data focused mindset throughout the enterprise
• Translate business needs into technical requirements
• Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
• Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
Must Have Skills:
1) 3+ years of experience working as a Data Engineer
2) 3+ years of hands on experience with SQL and R or Python (data analysis using these tools)
3) 3+ years of hands on experience with relational databases (Oracle, DB2, Redshift, etc.)
4) 2+ years of hands on experience with JSON, Hadoop and Hive data structures (mainly for data profiling)
5) Spanish Speaking (fluent in written and verbal)
– Build relationships, communicate well with teams outside of Canada
– Strong written and documentation
Nice to Have Skills:
• Data Analyst or BA experience
• API development experience
• Experience working in an Agile team environment
• Data modelling and warehousing experience
• FI/Bank (big banks are preferred)
Bachelor’s Degree or related