Location Address: Hybrid – 1-2 days per week in office
Contract Duration: 6 months
Number of Positions: 1
Schedule Hours: 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Story Behind the Need
– Business group: GBM Audit – The Audit Department is the 3rd Line of Defense and plays a key role in the internal control system of the Bank. Its mandate is to provide independent and objective assurance over the design and effectiveness of internal controls to mitigate risks and to provide advisory services designed to improve the Bank's operations.
– Project: The incumbent has responsibility for planning, executing and reporting of audits to provide independent, objective risk assessment of the effectiveness of Global Banking and Markets (GBM) within the overall Regulatory Compliance Management and Operational Risk Management Framework. The incumbent will act as Officer-in-Charge (OIC) on audit engagements and is responsible to execute the assigned audits and deliver quality work in accordance with the department methodology. The position will assist the VP and Director within the GBM Audit Team in the design of the Annual Audit Plan and to perform activities under the Center of Excellence model including participation in various regulatory remediation projects.
Reason for request: Additional support for remediation.
Candidate Value Proposition
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to manage a team and work within one of the big five Canadian Banks.
Typical Day in Role
o Executes audit engagements as per the Audit Plan and updates the Risk Assessment Database as required to ensure appropriate coverage
o Leads and participates in the audit coverage of Dodd-Frank Act Swap Dealer and Canadian regulatory audits and to develop standard audit programs for adequate and consistent approach to cover regulatory compliance
o Writes high quality audit reports within established timelines
o Validates audit findings and remediation milestones undertaken by management including project management activities
o Maintains a thorough understanding of US and Canada regulations. This includes keeping abreast of key industry developments, regulatory changes, and identifies key systemic issues (arising from audits globally) and internal changes that will impact the annual audit plan and/or quarterly Audit Committee reporting
o Executes the quarterly continuous monitoring program
o Maintains relationships with General Council – Legal, GBM Compliance, and audit teams
o Develop tactical strategies for increasing the use of data analytics to drive effective annual planning / risk assessment, and engagement / project execution
• Works independently within the mandate of the Department, approved annual audit plan and with periodic consultation from the Director.
• Escalates issues impacting deadlines, risk, and material error.
• Identifies changes to the scope/extent of the audit based on initial research/audit findings and seeks input from the Director.
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
• 8-10 years’ experience in Capital Markets Compliance, Compliance Audit, Regulatory body or related consulting experience
• 8-10 of Capital Markets Products and Regulations including Compliance framework, structure, programs, and systems
• 8-10 years of knowledge using Excel to analyze large transaction data for independent testing and validation
• 8-10 years of experience with audit processes and methodologies
•Experience in documenting testing results (ability to write clearly and concisely)
• Internal or external audit background. Accounting designations / technical / professional qualifications (CPA, CFA, CIA etc.) will be an asset.
-Experience in design, development or monitoring of risk and controls (including Governance) is preferred.
Fluency (writing and speaking) in Spanish would be an asset.
• Knowledge of the financial sector including perspective on the regulatory and competitive landscape.
• Critical thinker and problem solver
• A self-starter, deals well with ambiguity, is detail-oriented
• Works effectively independently and in a team environment.
Strong communication skills
Degrees or certifications:
• University degree in business, finance, economics, accounting or any other relevant area.